I hope the beauty trend of mask like contouring, layered on foundation and practices such as 'baking' remain in 2016. In 2017, let's focus on maintaining skin so healthy that foundation, concealer and powder are an option, not a must. Personally, I've never worn foundation and rarely use it on clients or photo shoots. I've always opted for fresher, more natural skin over layered on coverage. I'm going to give you some insight on how to beautify and maintain the health of your skin along with renowned dermatologist Dr. Julie Russak.
I had the pleasure of sitting down and chatting with Dr. Russak at her state-of-the-art practice and luxe spa in midtown. It's a place where her expertise, immaculate eye for beauty, architectural sense for symmetry, and stellar team of aestheticians meet you to together help you reach your 2017 beauty goal. Dr Russak's philosophy is all about starting younger with science proven skincare and maintaining your results. Her mindset as a physician is to enhance her patient’s natural features, not radically alter who they are.
Dr Russak's top 5
1) Seek a dermatologists opinion on your skincare treatment plan and regimen. The market is oversaturated with potions, lotions and even devices. It can be very confusing and intimidating, as well as costly. There is no better expert to consult with than a dermatology or medical esthetician. Investing in your skin is one of the most important things a person can do.
2) Professional Treatments- Overtime, the skin can become accustomed to or not respond the same to the same treatment. In order not to plateau, I like to interject different modalities to stimulate new forms of repair. Instead of using one modality in a series, we like to incorporate a “skin surprise” treatment throughout the patient’s treatment sessions. If a patient continually loves her monthly microneedling or laser treatment, we will change it up and introduce a session of microneedling with PRP, a chemical peel or different laser depth. Frequently we like to layer different modalities, doing effective combination treatments such as Laser Resurfacing + Platelet Rich Plasma.
3) Dr. Russak’s favorite treatment- Platelet Rich Plasma- We have long heard the undeniable regenerative benefits of platelets within the medical community. By harvesting our own platelets, we can microneedle or inject this cocktail into the skin and area of concern to naturally boost collagen, stimulate fibroblasts and repair our cells, strengthening the “scaffold” of our skin. These growth factors then stimulate stem cells within your skin activating new, healthy tissue.
4) Daily Antioxidant + SPF- To adequately help protect the skin from the damaging effects of the sun, an antioxidant & an SPF need to be part of an everyday skincare routine. An antioxidant, such as SkinCeuticals CE Ferulic & Phloretin CF, can help reinforce the skin’s natural protection against free radicals and reduce the appearance of photo-damage and wrinkles. In my opinion, you’d be doing your skin a disservice not to use this power duo.
5) Properly Cleansing is Key- The skin repairs at night. It is the perfect time for the skin to breathe and regenerate. I suggest using a gentle cleanser in the AM, and a foaming cleanser for the evening to effectively remove the oil, makeup and buildup from the day.
A. Wash Your Hands- A good way to prevent bacteria from forming in your products is to always wash your hands before dipping your fingers into anything that will touch your face. This also includes skincare like face cream, sunscreen, etc. Once a product is opened bacteria can begin to form. Makeup brushes are the most prone to breeding bacteria due to its exposure to many different products, residual buildup and damp environment. Always be sure to wash your damp sponges daily and ensure they properly air out.
Why is a monthly facial so important? Some patients benefit from monthly facials, typically those who are more congested. Typically, a good medical facial is recommended every 2-3 months. Some patients like schedule with every change of season. A deep cleaning facial will help to minimize pores, by dislodging black heads and oil buildup, thus expanding the pore. It is also a great time to reconnect with your esthetician and discuss any changing concerns. Medical facials in a clinical spa are tailored towards more advanced devices and protocols, with more specialized training. Under the direction of Dr. Julie Russak, our clinical spa, Russak+ Aesthetic Center is a safe haven for the most clinically advanced treatments.
I hope you all enjoyed reading this piece and learned something useful. If you have any questions, don't be shy, DM me on IG. I'll do my best to respond in a timely manner.